Sunday, August 19, 2018

How do you change the default language for installed templates in Visual Studio Community 2017?

You may find that after you launch the Visual Studio you may not see some of the templates that you were using previously. This is especially true after you install a new version or an upgrade. However you can correct this and is not a bug. I got the answer to this from Visual Studio Forum.

Here is how it started when it was launched after a version upgrade. I upgraded the version to Version 15.8.0.


Aug15_1580_0.png

Click Tools and click Import and Export Settings... shown.


Aug15_1580_1.png

The Import and Export Settings Wizard is displayed as shown.


Aug15_1580_2.png

I just took the default(first option on the above page) and clicked next>
Choose Settings to Export of the wizard is shown.


Aug15_1580_3.png

Click Next>

Name Your settings File page of wizard is displayed as shown.


Aug15_1580_4.png

I clicked Finish and my settings were saved.


Aug15_1580_5.png

When I launched Visual Studio nothing had changed. I still got the Visual Basic templates.

I went back to Import and Export to do a Reset All Settings as shown.


Aug15_1580_6.png

And then, I saved my settings in the next window.


Aug15_1580_7.png

I chose Visual C# for Default Collection of Settings in the following window


Aug15_1580_8.png

I clicked Finish to complete the Reset as shown. I disregarded the error.



Aug15_1580_9.png

I closed the above window and lanuched Visual Studio and clicked the Fiel | New Project...
Now I could see the C# templates as shown.


Aug15_1580_10.png





No comments: