Saturday, December 5, 2015

What is Windows Defender Offline?

Windows Desktop in Windows 10 has Windows Defender installed.
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe

This program is designed to protect the computer and in case it is attacked, the culprit can be removed or quarntined and then removed.

The Windows Defender Offline can used to start the computer from this program even before the other programs starts and is probably more effective.

I had a Trojan: DOS/Alureon.E infecction in my computer. I assumed the Windows Defender removed the virus after I made some changes posted here. However, the torjan was not compeltely removed and came back a few days later.

The typical symptoms of the virus were unresponsive browsers; loss of tiles menu in All Tiles and Cortana not responding.

I thought of downloading the Windows Defender Offline, but the computer did bring up a notification regarding this and cleaned the computer again. Looks like it is good for now.

You can also download the Windows Defender offline from here (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/what-is-windows-defender-offline).

I downloaded to be prepared for another attack.


No comments: