Sunday, September 21, 2014

How to join a Windows tablet to the HomeGroup?

I recently bought a Toshiba Encore 2 WT10 A tablet (OS: Windows 8.1) by trading in my iPad which had several problems one of which was the network connection was falling off too often and emails
remained unread till my next stop at Apple Store.

Toshiba's tablet is quite nice, the cameras are not that great but lots of peripherals like external memory, USB etc.. Anyway, I have Nokia Icon which takes superb pictures and I have whole suit of Nokia Camera related apps that fixes up most photos I take.

Joining the HomeGroup

I wanted the tablet to join the HomeGroup which was already present on my Toshiba Satelite 570 Series laptop with its own default password. I think each device comes with it own default HomeGroup password which you can 'leave' to 'join' another.

All I needed to do was to start tapping Settings -> Change PC Settings -> Network -> and HomeGroup in that order. Then the HomeGroup details gets displayed as shown.



You should click the 'Leave' button on the tablet and copy and paste the password from the Homegroup on your laptop (or PC) in its place and click 'Join' on your tablet.

Now the tablet has joined the laptop's HomeGroup. You can also enable other options as to what can be shared on this HomeGroup page. However, you have to select one at a time since it takes a while for the share to be enabled.

No comments: