- MD5 is a 128 bit message digest algoritm.
- RF1321 describes the MD5
- MD4 and MD5 are replacements for legacy programs that checked transmission errors of digital data such as CRC.
- MD5 supercedes MD4 and happens to be more secure albeit somewhat slower. This was deliberate to make the code more secure.
- MD5 is available for both Windows and UNIX platforms.
- You can download MD5 from http://www.fourmilab.ch/md5/
- In windows you can just click md5.exe from its download location to install
After downloading I verified the version and usage using the following:
I verified one of the items from the test suite. For testing the program I created a
text file in Notepad with just these two words "message digest" and used it as the input file. Here follows the
result (matches the one in suggested suite).
C:\Documents and Settings\Jayaram Krishnaswamy\Desktop\HodentekHelp>MD5 "C:\Md5test.txt"